LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon is an open source network stress tool, written in C#. LOIC is based on Praetox's LOIC project at sourceforge.net/projects/loic/.
How to get this tool
To use this tool, please use a method listed below.
In a Linux (Debian OS), run the following command(s).
How To Run On Windows
Download the binaries. it requires Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, available at:
How To Run On Linux / Macosx
- Run debug binaries with Mono or Wine.
How to run LOIC using Wine
Assuming you have Ubuntu/Debian:
- Download latest LOIC and extract. Then open a terminal and run the following
sudo apt install wine wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks && cd winetricks/ sh winetricks
From the GUI select dotnet20, and install it.
- Go to applications on your drop down and under Wine click on “Browse C: drive” then move the extracted LOIC to c:
- Now, go to the extracted file and right-click LOIC.exe and click properties.
- Go to permissions tab and check the box “Allow executing this file as program”.
- Right click file again and under open application, select wine.
How to run LOIC using Mono
Jorge Oliveira edited this page on Jan 28, 2020 · 10 revisions
Linux (Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora)
- Install monodevelop from: https://www.monodevelop.com/download/#fndtn-download-lin
- Shell script for distributions with mono .net 4.5: github.com > NewEraCracker > LOIC/blob/master/loic-net4.5.sh
Mac OS X (Old instructions – Not tested on latest versions)
- Download LOIC (with windows binaries) from download page and extract in desktop.
- Download mono from: https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/
- Install mono.
- Open a terminal and type
- LOIC should open (check tray too)
Download directly from the following link:
How to execute
HIVEMIND mode will connect your client to an IRC server so it can be controlled remotely. Think of this as a voluntary botnet. Please be aware that your client can potentially be made to do naughty things.
Note: It does NOT allow remote administration of your machine; it just provides control of LOIC itself.
If you want to start up in Hivemind mode, run something such as this:
LOIC.exe /hivemind irc.server.address
which will connect to irc://irc.server.adress:6667/loic
You can also specify a port and channel:
LOIC.exe /hivemind irc.server.address 1234 #secret
which will connect to irc://irc.server.adress:1234/secret
In order to run Hivemind Hidden mode, run something such as this:
LOIC.exe /hidden /hivemind irc.server.address
which will connect to irc://irc.server.adress:6667/loic without any visible GUI.
CONTROLLING LOIC FROM IRC
As an OP, Admin or Owner, set the channel topic or send a message such as the following:
!lazor targetip=127.0.0.1 message=test_test port=80 method=tcp wait=false random=true
To start an attack, type:
or append "start" to the END of the topic:
!lazor targetip=127.0.0.1 message=test_test port=80 method=tcp wait=false random=true start
To reset LOIC's options back to their defaults:
To stop an attack:
and be sure to remove "start" from the END of the topic, if it exists, as well.
Take a look at the source code for more details.
This article was contributed by Gavin Dennis from Jamaica. Gavin is a member of the Caribbean CSPA.